KEY FACTS & FEATURES
Stade Geoffroy-Guichard was built on a plot of land that was donated to the club by its founder Geoffroy Guichard (who also founded the retail group Casino). The president of the club, his son Pierre, in turn decided to name the stadium after his father.
Stade Geoffroy-Guichard officially opened on 13 September 1931 with a match between AS Stéphanoise (which would later become Saint-Etienne) and Cannes (1-9).
In 1968, after the city of Saint-Etienne had become owner of the stadium, further works were performed, which included a brand new stand opposite the main stand and cover for the two kop stands. This resulted in a capacity of almost 40,000.
The stadium got further expanded and renovated for the Euro 1984 Championships, resulting in a capacity of 48,270, almost half of them seats. During the championships, it hosted two group matches.